Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Video of Pauline Thomas's Family Background During WWII


Text of Video

Hello my name is Pauline Thomas, Pauline Carder Thomas. My name was Carder during the war and until 1945 actually. Anyway this is a little short story about things, the way they went during WWII and it wasn’t exactly an exciting time. There were many things we had to do without during that time. However, I lived with my Mother and Dad. My sister, a little older, was married and lived with her husband in Detroit Michigan. So there was just me as the child in the family so to speak and we had coupons. They gave us coupons and we had to have those in order to buy a lot of things and there was a shortage of things like laundry detergent and I remember standing in line for my Mother at the Kroger store so that she could do washing . It was just little things like that come to my mind now . Back then, I really don’t know what I thought. At that age we didn’t really think that much about war like they do today, the way the kids do today. We just went along with what we were supposed to do. During that time, at the beginning, my Dad rode a bicycle, we had no car back then and my Dad rode a bicycle all over the place . We rented a house in Shawnee on First Street(Piqua) and he rode his bike all the way to Hartzell’s Propeller Company on Washington Avenue and he would ride his bike back and forth. Luckily he had a job and he kept food on the table. There was a shortage for sure but we always had enough to eat and a place to stay and a close relationship, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home