Monday, September 10, 2007

Ideas the World Over

I have spent the last couple of hours viewing the front pages of newspapers from all over the world. Guess what....I saw more NFL football stories on the front pages of newspapers in the US than stories about the war in Iraq. Pictures of the pigskin take up half a front page while the occasional small article about the war finds its way into a corner. Every once in a while I noticed stories about illegal aliens. I didnt see much as far as any government criticism (that is, us nailing on our government about the job that they are(or are not) doing. Oh, yes, Britannie Spears. I saw her picture quite a bit in European papers. I saw more soccer in Europe. I guess it is their version of football.
It was difficult to understand what the German papers were about, but the picture of the young man with his fist raised into the air with Osama's face on his t-shirt brought back other extremist memories like those of Hitler. The one paper that I read that was thought provoking was the English version of Aljazeera. Especially the part where folks can email their opinions. What a wealth of information. I understand that these emails are very laden with the politics of the areas from which they originate. However, these topics are not open for discussion in our newspapers like they used to be. It is easy to forget certain topics when they are not in the forefront of the media.
I wish to pose a question to the younger folks--how long will Free Speech be allowed on the web?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home